Wednesday 29 April 2009

The City

The palace is at the centre of everything, yet no one has been inside in years. Or seen beyond it's walls. Not even the soldiers who spend all their time guarding it.

I once asked old Toban, who runs a shop in the market selling medication that will make you see another world with red objects on the roads, whether he remembered.

"My father once told me that he had asked his grandfather what was in there. Even he couldn't remember. But he said it had always been closed but that has a child he had asked his father. He said that his father used to take messages from the city and that inside the square wall were lots of building. One was the main palace but right at the centre is an even older building and that is where the Delphine used to live."

I was impressed. "My father never remembered anything, or to ask."

"Well it was a long time ago and I doubt you could get in when there was anyone living there. Not just like that. However it was long ago. I guess there were people on the other side of the river then."


No comments:

Post a Comment